Extension and Conversion of a former warehouse. The conversion of the listed former Rheinstahl warehouse by architect Emil Fahrenkamp in 1923 into a multifunctional event hall requires new structures: foyer, storage rooms, technology, sanitary facilities. In order to not interrupt the spatial effect of the timber-framed hall, these facilities are to be accommodated in a new front and rear extension. A glass joint reinforces this concept that creates an architectural connection between the two opposing structures. This element allows a visual reference to the historical façade of the warehouse and provides a strong interior effect through a recurring interplay of light and shadow. The rhythm of the shed roof construction determines the new design structure, which rests on steel columns. The expressive roof form connects the two extensions thematically, intentionally suggesting a passing train – a metaphorical bridge to the former delivery of steel via the railway. Consequently, the front structure slides gently onto the plastered brick wall and between the existing buildings on the sides. The separation of the old and new building material is particularly noticeable through the use of a shadow gap. The shiny corrugated iron façade and the shed roof recall the former industrial use of the surrounding area, while at the same time creating a sense of interdependence between the two structures.
Comments are closed.